INTERGRATED LAKE JIPE, KITOBO FOREST AND ASSOCIATED RIVER BASIN PROJECT
This project involved enhancing sustainable management and restore the ecological integrity of lake Jipe and Kitobo ecosystems and promote poverty reduction strategies for the local communities. This was an integrated project that involved dealing with Lake Jipe Ecosystem upstream and downstream.
This project brought on board technocrats from WARMA, NEEMA, among others where hydrological study and recommendations made were the principles in implementing the project.
The project started in 2007 and ended in 2009 funded by European Union through Community Development Trust Fund managed by Konam-Kenya as the strategic partner and the community through well established community structures the Taveta Environmental Conservation Alliance.
- Rehabilitation of Kitobo Forest
- Water structures constructed to upstream to reduce siltation of lake Jipe.
- Established community policing to reduce human wildlife conflict in Taveta
- Opened up multiple studies on Lake Jipe Ecosystem
- Restoration of Lake Jipe Ecosystem up and down stream